Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Suspension of Disbelief

Watching wrestling the last few weeks has reminded me what draws fans in and keep them watching, suspension of disbelief. If what you see on your television is totally outside of the realm of plausibility it hurts the product overall. The one thing that bothers me on the past few weeks of WWE television is the fact that they insist there are two WWE champions. For the 25 plus years I have been a wrestling fan the rules have always stated that when a person is the champion they have up to 30 days to defend the belt, and yes i know they can change them at any time it's not a real rule book. Now with that being said CM Punk won the belt on July 17th and the very next night, without stripping Punk of the title, a tournament for the belt was started.

The tournament itself was made a farce by John Cena winning the belt from Rey Mysterio less than 2 hours after he won it himself, thus devaluing the tournament. Now don't get me wrong I'm not dissing Cena or Mysterio I have the utmost respect for both wrestlers, but that was a worthless tournament only to hand the belt to Cena without him going through the trouble Mysterio did to win it.

What happened following the Cena win was even more baffling, although highly entertaining. Punk made his triumphant return. Here in lies the issue I have, I find it outside of the realm of plausibility that 1. John Cena's character would accept the tittle this way 2. CM Punk should have been stripped if they were going to crown a new champion. 3. Even if you do not strip Punk he has 30 days to defend this all transpired within 2 weeks.

Look I'm not saying that I have been totally on board with every decision that has ever been made I just feel that when you bring up certain things as being rules for the last 25 years at least that you should stick with that or at least acknowledge that there has been a rule change so us fans don't have these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment