Monday, April 4, 2011

Wrestlemania 27 Review

Ok before I go into my match by match review i will acknowledge that my predictions were way off. I guess that is a good thing, because if I picked everything correct WWE would be too predictable. From what I have seen this was a very polarizing Wrestlemania, either you love it or hate it. The thing that stuck out to me watching the show was that the Atlanta crowd seemed dead during most of the night. I doubt that Wrestlemania returns there anytime soon. I will be grading the matches on a 0-5 star rating system, 0 being the worse 5 being an instant classic.

Alberto Del Rio Vs Edge: World Heavyweight Title Match

This was a very good match for the opener. Del Rio pulled out some new moves during the match and showed glimpses of what will come in his career. I absolutely love the way this match was booked. I thought the interference by Brodus Clay fit well and I am happy that the outside influences were not overplayed. Kudos to the WWE for not pulling the trigger on a Del Rio title run too soon. This match should have been later on the card, but I'll get into that later. Edge picked up the win after a great sequence of moves. ***1/2

Cody Rhodes Vs Rey Mysterio

This match was one that I actually picked correctly. I enjoyed this match and I am glad that Mysterio put over Rhodes in this match. Mysterio is getting old and does not have much left in his tank. his move set has become seriously limited and it is getting hard to suspend disbelief that his opponents keep falling into perfect position for the 619. Rhodes has a good future ahead of him as a high mid card talent with occasional runs for the title. The only thing i dislike about Rhodes is that someone needs to buy him knee pads, it just looks odd without them. **1/2

The Corre Vs Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella, and Kofi Kingston

This was the match I was least looking forward to on the card. It seemed very rushed and more suited for a Smackdown match. This would be the worse match of the night if not for a later match. The WWE should have bumped this to the dark match and kept Daniel Bryan Vs Sheamus on the main card*

CM Punk Vs Randy Orton

I think the build up for this match was as good as any match on the card including Triple H Vs The Undertaker. I expected alot from this match and they did not disappoint. The psychology of the match was amazing. This is what it looks like when two guys recognize the opportunity they have and seize it. The WWE is in good hands for the next 10 years with these two wrestlers. The only thing i would change is to have Punk go over to continue the feud. The ending they had was great with the RKO from out of nowhere, I just would have preferred Punk to win. ****

Michael Cole Vs Jerry "The King" Lawler with special guest referee "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

By far this was the worse match of the night. Michael Cole is absolutely horrible in the ring and Lawler didn't look much better. The interference by Jack Swagger and Austin was way too predictable. This should have been a quick Lawler squash match, instead it seemed to drag on forever. The outcome change by the GM was brutal, it made a bad match worse. I can't recall a worse Wrestlemania match than this, any momentum from previous matches going into this was destroyed. 0 stars

Triple H Vs The Undertaker: No Holds Barred

The one word that sums this match up is wow. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the match. The brutality that both men showed during this match was astounding. There were several times during the match where my thoughts went from there is no way Triple H is winning to there is no way Taker is winning. In my humble opinion I think this was both mens best match in their hall of fame careers. The end was outstanding with Taker pulling out the Hell's Gate from seemingly being beaten. The follow up after the match was amazing as well. Showing Taker as being vulnerable for the first time that i can remember really sold how close Triple H came to ending the streak. The match was worked so well that several people I have talked to wondered if Taker was legitimately hurt, that is how you suspend disbelief. I would not be surprised if this match don't win match of the year. *****

LayCool and Dolph Ziggler Vs Trish Stratus, Snooki, and John Morrison

I was shocked at this being a decent match, I wish it would have been the opener instead of Edge Vs Del Rio. Not that this wasn't good i just think the Heavyweight title match would be a better fit here. Snooki had some decent skills, whoever worked with her to get her ready for the match needs a raise and promotion.  I had extremely low expectations for this match and it surpassed them. I went into the night expecting to give this zero stars and ripping it. **

John Cena Vs The Miz: WWE Title Match

Ok I'll start with what i liked about the match. The career retrospective videos were very well done. I felt like it really showed The Miz and John Cena as equals. Now that I am done with that on to the rest of this match. This match was ok at best and horrible for a Wrestlemania main event. I would totally be ok with this as a Raw main event or even a main event on one of the lesser pay per views like Extreme Rules. This is Wrestlemania, the showcase of the immortals, and if it was based on this match I would not consider either guy immortal, good but not immortal. The ending was atrocious. A double count out followed by The Rock, who has no authority other than being The Rock, restarting the match only to screw John Cena. I get that the bigger picture is The Rock Vs John Cena at some point but why ruin the Wrestlemania main event with that. I am going to be a little generous with my rating as overall I didn't think the match would be bad any other day of the year. **

Overall I give the event *** It had potential be one of the all time great Wrestlemania's but ended up being somewhat disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment